Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Look in the Mirror

“But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.”
James 1:22-25 NLT

There's a difference between knowing the Word of God in your head and truly knowing it (having a revelation of it). The key to success is: knowing the Word, letting it take residence in your heart and doing what it says (Joshua 1:8). If you know what the Word says and fail to act accordingly, you're wasting your time. The above scripture says that if you just listen to the Word without doing what it says, you're fooling yourself; other translations say you're deceiving yourself.

If further goes on to describe the essence of the foolery, comparing it to looking in the mirror and forgetting what you look like the next minute. The Word of God is filled with descriptions of our true nature. It contains the elements of our identity. The Word says we are blessed, therefore we are blessed! The Word says that we are the healed of the Lord, therefore we are healed! The Word says that we have power over sin, therefore we are righteous! However, you have a part to play. 

When you look into the Word, it is your true identity...a reflection of who you really are (2 Corinthians 3:18). As you listen to the Word, meditate on the Word and act on the Word you are change into that very image. After all, if you are born again you were born of this same Word and the Spirit of God (1 Peter 1:23; John 3:5). When you fail to do what you know is right, you're denying your true identity...you are suffering from an identity crisis.

I had this issue a few years ago. I knew what was right but I found myself constantly doing what was wrong. I felt weak and incapable of living right. The devil would mock me and constantly tell me that I wasn't worthy, I wasn't good enough. He would tell me that there was no point in trying, that I would always fail.

I was willing to make the changes but my flesh was weak (Matthew 26:41). I later discovered that true change comes by the Word of God and through the strength of his Spirit. I learned that once I built up my spirit and meditated on the Word of God routinely, I would no longer struggle with sin. I learned that change involved action and not just mere wishing.

That was my key to victory! I let the Word of God redefine me, instead of believing what the society or world said I was. I understood that I was royalty and that I had authority. And that I was in charge of my life with the help of the Holy Spirit. 

As I meditated on the Word and followed the leading of the Spirit, I was transformed (Romans 12:2). I became wiser, bolder, more confident and stronger. It worked like magic! However, once again I had a role to play. I had to make a conscious decision to be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer. At times I would do very well but, I'd fall again. After the fall, I'd dust myself off and try again. In no time, it was smooth sailing as I learned to lean on the Holy Spirit and soar on the wings of grace.

Refuse to be a fool! Refuse to suffer from identity crisis! BE A DOER OF THE WORD OF GOD!!!

Confession: In the name of the Lord Jesus, I declare that I am a doer of the Word of God! I consider the Word my reality and I act on it daily. Amen

Prayer starter: Heavenly father, I thank you for your Word. I pray for the grace to always choose to do your word and to resist the temptation to do otherwise. Amen


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_



6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.