Friday, August 26, 2016

Oluwatomiyin X

Hello everyone!

Thanks for stopping by! 

Yes I know, this has been a long short story but we're almost at the finish line. The next installment will be the last.

So enjoy!!!

***


Lagos was different.
Lagos was noisy.
Lagos was crowded.
Lagos was all about the hustle and bustle.

It was a far cry from what I was used to. It took a while to adjust but I eventually got the hang of it.

We stayed with Mercy's mom's friend, we called her aunty C. She was a widow and mother of four children (two boys and two girls). They lived in a two bedroom flat. To say that the living conditions were a bit uncomfortable was an understatement. Aunty C and Mercy’s mom slept in one room, and all the children slept in the other.

Mercy's mom promised us that we wouldn't stay for long; so we managed. The money that we came with seemed to be disappearing at record speed. Mercy’s mom had to help out with purchasing food and the bills in the house.

Mercy's mom went out from sun up to sun down looking for employment. She'd come home frustrated. Her degrees and qualifications were practically useless. Everyone and their mother were looking for work.

By the time we clocked six months at Aunty C's house, we knew our time was up. Things became very tense and tough in the house. Mercy's mom had no choice but to take a sale's position at a local boutique.

With the little money that we had left, we were able to get a self-contain (studio apartment), it wasn't too great but it was a place to lay our heads. We couldn't afford to go back to school just yet. Luckily one of our neighbors just graduated from the university and offered to give us free tutorials. His name was Kenny Williams.

Mr. K as we fondly called him was very nice. He ensured that we were up bright and early to attend his tutorials, he taught us all subjects. He was very thorough and patient; he didn’t stop until we understood everything. He encouraged us daily; he didn't want us to feel bad because we couldn't afford to go to school.

He also was a born again Christian. Prior to meeting him, I never heard the term 'born again' before. After our tutorials, he'd teach us about God. We used to attend church in Warri; Mercy's parents were Catholics. But what he taught us about God was different, it was intriguing.

I learned that God loved me and that he gave us the best gift in the person of Jesus Christ. He told us that Jesus died, so that we could be saved from sin and its consequences (sickness, poverty and death).

One day, he asked if he wanted to give our lives to Jesus. We both shouted "Yes!" in unison. After repeating a few words after him, it felt like a large weight was lifted off my shoulders. I felt alive and free!

Thereafter, he asked if we wanted to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We replied in the affirmative. He laid his hands on our foreheads one after another. Mercy was first; she suddenly fell to the ground and started to speak in tongues. It was magical. I was next, as he laid his hand on my forehead, I felt warmth all over my body. I also felt an unexplainable joy from deep within, I began to laugh uncontrollably and spoke in tongues interchangeably.

It was an experience that I can never forget. I now had a second birthday; that I celebrate every year May 24! We were so excited we couldn't wait to tell Mercy's mom what took place. She came home exhausted and didn't seem too interested. So we let her be.

But I couldn't contain my excitement; I wanted the world to know! I told some of our friends in the neighborhood. Soon enough they were knocking on Mr. K's door so that they could have the same experience. He encouraged Mercy and I to teach and repeat what we saw him do. So there we were, getting people saved and filled with the Holy Spirit throughout our neighborhood. It was exhilarating!

We tried to get Mercy's mom on board but she still didn't seem interested. She told us it was youthful shenanigans. Soon enough things started to get better for our family. Mr. K taught us how to study the Word and pray. We began to release our faith for things to get better.

One day, Mercy's mom came home brimming from ear to ear. We knew that something was up, she usually came home dejected.

"My loves, you wouldn't believe what happened today!"

"What happened mommy? Gist us!" Mercy replied.

"I got a new job!!!" She shouted at the top of her lungs.

We all started rejoicing, it was a beautiful sight.
"How? Where?" I asked.

"Well a man came into the boutique today; he wanted to purchase a gift for his wife."

"Okay, tell me more" Mercy was impatient.

"Well we got talking, he asked me if I was educated and I told him about all my qualifications. He was shocked and said that I was just what his company was looking for. He told me to resume work tomorrow!!!"

The shouts of joy continued.

Mercy and I were ecstatic; we prayed that she'd get a new job. Indeed our God answers prayers!

Mercy’s mom went from being a sale’s person at a boutique to being a bank executive in a manner of hours.

***

In no time, we were back in school and things were going great for us.
Mercy's mom blossomed at work; she was given a company car. And we eventually moved into a four bedroom duplex (two story house) in Lekki. It was bittersweet having to say goodbye to our neighbors who had become like family to us. It was even harder having to say goodbye to Mr. K, he had become a father figure to us. The things he taught us changed us forever.

I loved our new home. It was spacious and beautiful! It was my safe haven, my lighthouse, I loved coming home. I had so many experiences with God there. It was so easy to pray and study the Word as I sat on the balcony and enjoy the natural breeze.

The only thing that I missed was having neighbors. It was kind of lonely because our neighborhood was fairly new. However a new house was being built next door. I looked out of my window daily to monitor the progress that the construction workers made. While wondering who would live there and become our next door neighbor.


To be continued....


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

3 comments:

  1. Pastor Bunmi, can't wait to get to the bottom of this story. It's a good piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you read the final installment? It is up now!

      Delete
  2. I reallllly like how this is going :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.