Thursday, August 18, 2016

Oluwatomiyin IX

Hello everyone!!!

I want to apologize if it seems like this short story has been dragging. My apologies, I have been super busy in the last few weeks/months. But I promise to get back into the swing of things soon enough. 

For now, enjoy the next installment of "Oluwatomiyin"

****


Shortly after giving birth to Mercy, her parents began trying to conceive again. Each attempt was unsuccessful. After a number of miscarriages and accompanying health conditions, they decided to close that chapter and be content with the one child that God gave them.

However, Mr. Timothy's (Mercy's dad) family was not having that. They accused Mercy's mom of being a witch. They said that she used her womb to do witchcraft and trap her husband. Through it all, Mr. Timothy was supportive and protective of his wife. He loved and cherished her eternally.

Well three years ago, everything changed in a matter of months. Mr. Timothy's family had convinced him to secretly marry a second wife. He came from a royal family and he needed a male child to be his heir. In no time, he found himself dancing to his family's tunes. Soon after their wedding, his second wife gave birth to a baby boy.

All this occurred under Mercy's mom's noise. She had absolutely no idea. In her mind, her husband was the best husband in the universe. She vowed to commit her entire life to him and their little family. She was the epitome of a great wife and mother. I learned so much by observing her.

However, on November 8, 2013, I saw a different side of her. Mr. Timothy returned from work with a not so pleasant surprise. As Mercy's mum, headed towards the door to welcome her husband and exchange a kiss as they normally did; she paused as she saw her husband's demeanor.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" She knew that something was off.

"Dorothy, I...I...I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to happen like this."

"Shut up! Aren't you a man? Why are you sorry? For what?" Mr. Timothy's mother shouted from behind him.

With confusion etched all over her face, Mercy's mom said "Good evening mama, I didn't know you were coming today. You're welcome ma." She opened the door wider.

"Save your greetings you witch!" Mercy's grandma retorted as she entered with her new grandson in her arms. Her new daughter in law followed behind her smiling like she just won the lotto.

"Mercy and Oluwatomiyin, please excuse us."

We hurriedly made our exit and headed to our room. We pinned our ears to the door as the rest of the drama unfolded.

Mercy's mom was introduced to her husband's second wife and son. She was told that they were moving in that same night so that we could all live as one big family. If she didn't like it, she was told to pack her belongings and leave.

Mercy's mom began to wail and shout.
"Timothy, Timothy... What did I ever do to deserve this???"

Needless to say, no one had dinner that night. Mercy and I were too afraid to leave our room. We prayed that it was all a terrible nightmare and hoped that it would all disappear when we woke up the next morning.

Well it didn't disappear, it became our reality. The once cozy and loving atmosphere within the house became tense and uncomfortable. Mercy's mom turned into a zombie. She barely spoke or smiled. She took care of her responsibilities; she cooked, cleaned and ensured that we were okay. Afterwards she locked herself in her room, becoming a prisoner in her own home.

The other lady tried to be close to us but we never gave her the time of day. I felt a bit sorry for her; she was so young and beautiful. She seemed to be educated and had the potential to be someone great. She also seemed lost, for some reason, I feel like she was coax into all of this.

I overheard her speaking with someone on the phone one day.

"Chioma, I didn't bargain for all this o.
 I was just minding my business jeje and this ppl came and highjacked me. I am now doing second wife." She attempted to whisper.

"But I was promised my own house! This is ridiculous. The guy doesn't even send me...he hasn't touched me since."

When she noticed that I was around she smiled and changed the subject.
Something wasn't right.

***
Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Nothing changed, everyone was in their own world. I hated going home, I always found an excuse to get home late.

I guess I wasn't the only one that hated being in that house.

One night Mercy's mom, tiptoed into our room. She woke us up and gave us our shoes. She put her hands over her lips and told us not to say a word. Before we knew it, we were in a car that was waiting for us outside the house. The car was filled with some bags. We were told to get some rest and not to worry.

We were on our way to Lagos.


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi



7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.