Thursday, August 11, 2016

Oluwatomiyin VIII

Hello! Thanks for stopping by today!

The story of Oluwatomiyin continues...I hope that you've enjoyed it thus far?

Read, Comment, Share & be Blessed!!!

***

The day finally came to an end. I couldn't wait to crash; I was exhausted physically and emotionally. I wanted to be alone and away from all the noise.
I said my thank you(s) and goodbyes to the few guests that lingered around.
I couldn't wait to get home, I was exhausted. I just wanted to crash.

I had been staying with my friend Sharon and her family since big mummy left the scene. As I was about to get into the car and drive home with them, Mercy's mom called my name.

I turned to face her.

"Please come, I want to speak with you."

She then motioned for Sharon's family to be on their way.

I reluctantly dragged my feet and headed in her direction.
As I thought to myself "Couldn't this wait? This has already been an emotional/stressful day."

She reached out for me and gave me a big hug. I found solace in her arms for a few minutes, it felt heavenly. She then pulled back from me gently and looked into my eyes.

“I just finished speaking with your grandmother; she want you to stay with us. I promise that you’ll be well taken care of. “

I just stared back at her in unbelief as my jaw dropped. I was speechless as she held my hand and walked me towards the car where Mercy and her dad were waiting for us.

Mercy tried to cheer me up but it failed. The car ride was only fifteen minutes long but it felt like fifteen hours.

I had enough for the day; as soon as we got home I headed straight for Mercy's room and crashed on her bed with my clothes and shoes still on. I slept like a baby.
I didn't want to wake up the next morning; I laid in bed and tried to extend my sleep for as long as possible.

My dreams were far better than reality. At least I got to see big mummy in my dreams. The memories that we shared often replayed in those dreams. I took it as a sign that she was fine and wanted me to be at peace.
I decided to finally drag myself out of bed after tossing side to side for about twenty minutes. I wanted to head over to the house and get a few things. I informed Mercy's mom that I'd be back soon, but her reply stopped me dead in my tracks.

"The house has been locked permanently. Your grandmother sent someone over early this morning to bring your belongings."

I broke into a rage and started shouting at the top of my lungs.

"Who does she think she is? She can't control my life! I hate her! I hate her!!!”

I dropped to the floor wept uncontrollably. Mercy's mom placed her hand on my shoulder.

And she whispered, "Its okay dear, you don't need to cry. We are here for you."

For the next week, I barely ate nor spoke. I was out of it. Mercy and her family did all they could to get me out of my funk but I didn't budge. Life had dealt me some serious punches and I wasn't sure if I could take anymore.

***

One morning, I woke up with a new attitude; it was like magic, I decided to see everything in a new light. At least I had a family that loved and cared for me. Mercy was the sister I never had and this was the family structure that I never had. Mercy's parents treated me like their own child.

Deep down within me, I felt that somehow things would get better. My goal was to keep that hope alive.

One day Mercy's mom called me into her room.

"Yes ma, I'm coming."

"How are you dear?" She inquired.

"I am fine ma."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"I hope they you're comfortable here?"

"Yes I am, thank you ma."

"I know your mom, her and I were very close when she was pregnant with you."

I was all ears.

"She really loved you; she wanted to be there for you. She always wanted to come back for you but her parents didn't allow her."

"We kept in touch after she left. She'd always ask about you and beg me to send her pictures of you."

"She called me when she was about to get married. She was devastated because her parents made her swear to never mention you to her husband or even think of seeing you again."

I became visibly livid.

"She wanted to run away and call off the wedding but she couldn't muster the courage to. She felt like no man would ever want to marry her after they found out that she had a baby out of wedlock."

I sighed.

"So she accepted her fate and went ahead with the wedding."

Tears began to drip down my face.

"I didn't hear from her for a few months. She then called me and told me that she was relocating to America with her husband. And she made me promise to watch after you."

"So she actually cared?" I asked rhetorically.

"Yes she did. And I am glad that I'm actually in the position to fulfill my promise to her."

She stood up, smiled and held out her arms to me. We exchanged a hug.

I felt like I was in good hands.
"Your grandmother has promised to send 50,000 naira every month for your upkeep but my husband and I have decided to save that money instead. We will keep it for you until you're ready to go to university. "

"Wow! Thank you so much ma. I really appreciate it! God bless you."

The next three years were heaven on earth in the Onyema household until all hell broke loose.

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi



7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.