Monday, September 05, 2016

Oluwatomiyin XI: THE END

Hello Everyone! Happy New Month! We are in the last stretch of 2016! Wow!!! You made it!!!

I pray that the rest of the days of this year will bring you joy unspeakable, endless testimonies, good news from near and far, open doors, things money can buy and things money cannot buy.  Love you all!

Now to the next and final installment of Oluwatomiyin! I hope you all have enjoyed reading this short story as much as I have enjoyed writing it!

Source: Google




****

That day finally arrived; the house next door was no longer empty. Our new neighbors arrived bright and early on this faithful day. I peered out of my window with so much concentration; paying attention to every detail.

It was a beautiful family, A man, a woman and two children... one girl and one boy. The children looked about five or six years old. They ran around their new compound (front yard) with so much excitement.

And then there were movers, repeatedly climb up and down the back of their truck. There was lots of boxes and baggage. There were lots of beautiful furnishings. It was a sight to behold! This family had good taste.

As I rose from my bed to start the day, I alternated between sightseeing at my window and going about my business. I was so fixated on the sights outside my window that I didn't notice when Mercy came into my room.

"Hello! Tomiyin...what are you looking at?"

She came to join me as I explained.

"Our neighbors are finally moving in!"

"Oooookkkkkaaayyyy"

"I know, don't mind me. I'm so excited."

"Yeah, a little too excited if you ask me!"

“Yeah whatever, no one asked you!” I rolled my eyes.

After a few minutes, I retired from the sightseeing and joined Mercy in the kitchen.
We were making our Special Saturday Brunch. This consists of fried egg stew, fried yam, fried plantain, corn beef stew, chicken sausages, baked beans, steamed veggies and freshly squeezed fruit juice. We looked forward to our Saturday morning ritual every week. The only thing missing was mummy; she traveled for a business trip.

Later on, we decided to head to the Palm's mall. We wanted to go window shopping and watch a movie. The driver dropped us off and was instructed to pick us up in three hours.

Mercy wanted to watch "Frozen", I reluctantly agreed after going back and forth. We agreed to return next week and watch the movie I wanted to watch “12 years a slave". Surprisingly, I enjoyed watching "Frozen", it had a very good storyline; it reminded me that family is one of God's greatest gifts.

After the movie we couldn't help it, we had to stop by Coldstone to get some ice cream. We both love ice cream! We barely got our spoons into our mouths when the driver called to inform us that he was outside. So we gathered our belongings and met him in the parking lot.

Thankfully traffic wasn't too bad. We got home and headed to our individual rooms to prepare for church in the morning. We were invited by a friend to his church "This Present House". We heard a lot of great things about the church and were looking forward to service the next morning.

Just before I called it a night, I decided to peep out the window just one more time. As I did, I caught a glimpse of the woman from next door doing the same. Our eyes met and I quickly drew the curtains back as I was embarrassed because I got caught.

Even though our eyes only met for a few seconds, there was something about that woman. Within those few seconds I felt something that I couldn't describe. Maybe it was some kind of connection? Like maybe we were supposed to meet or something? Or maybe I was just overreacting and overthinking everything. I brushed those thoughts aside as I said my prayers.

****
Church was awesome; the choir was amazing and the Word was spot on! Mercy and I enjoyed ourselves in God's presence. We were so glad that our friend Chima invited us.

As we were heading out, I saw them. Our new neighbors, they were coming for the second service as we were leaving the first service. I wanted to walk by without acknowledging them, but our eyes met again.

The woman smiled and said “Good morning, Happy Sunday."

I blushed and quickly looked away; I said "Good morning ma, same to you" As I quickly walked past her.

"Tomiyin, do you know her?" Mercy asked

"Not really, that's just our new neighbor."

"Ooohhh, no wonder!"  Mercy laughed

"Stop laughing jor!" I was slightly embarrassed, as I remembered being caught the night prior.

"She kept staring at you even after you walked passed her. She definitely knows it's you! Hahaaaa… amebor (nosey) thingz" Mercy laughed harder.

I was so happy when I caught glimpse of Chima. I needed to change the subject ASAP. He thanked us for honoring his invite and took us to lunch at a Chinese restaurant after. We had lots of fun, good food and great laughs.

At last we had to say our good byes and headed home. We had to get the house ready because Mummy was returning tomorrow and also it was the beginning of another school week.

****
The school day went by so fast. I couldn't wait to get home and see all the goodies that mummy brought back for us from Abuja. Mercy and I were beyond excited, she always returned from her business trips bearing gifts.

After the driver dropped us off at home, she called Mercy to inform her that she just landed. Mercy and I started rejoicing as we prepared dinner. We made her favorite pounded yam and efo riro (Nigerian dishes).

Two hours later, she was at the door. We ran to welcome her and gladly grabbed the bags out of her driver's hands.

"Mummy! How was your trip??? We missed you!" You would have thought that we rehearsed it.

"It was good, we thank God. I missed my girls too". She gave us kisses on our cheeks.

" Mmm...something smells good in here!" She proceeded to the kitchen.

"Aww my favorite! You girls are the best! Let me quickly go take a shower and we'll have dinner together."
We talked our way through dinner. We filled her in on what she's missed for the past week and she shared her business trip gist. We laughed and laughed and laughed. Good times!

"Mummy, guess what?" I said

"Yes sweetheart"

"Our neighbors have finally moved in!" I couldn't hide my excitement.

"Here we go again!" Mercy said. She proceeded to tell mummy how I got caught spying on our neighbors.

They both laughed, I ended up joining them and we all laughed.

"It’s okay Tomiyin; we will go there and introduce ourselves to them."

Now that's what I wanted to hear!

****
Everyone was so busy during the week. Saturday finally came around. After having our normal Saturday brunch Mummy suggested that we head next door to meet the neighbors.

We all took baths, got dressed and headed over. The gateman seemed surprised when he heard us knocking on the gate. He asked who we were and said he'd be right back. He had to inform his boss. About two minutes later he was back and told us to come in.

Armed with the fruits and drinks that we brought as gifts, we walked in. When we got to the front door of the house, we pressed the doorbell. A young girl opened the door and introduced herself as Sylvia. She said that her madam (boss) would be with us shortly.

"Taiwo...Kenny, stop playing rough! Come on, let's go we have visitors." We heard her voice from upstairs.

We rose to our feet as we heard her footsteps on the staircase.

"Hello, Good afternoon!" We heard her voice before she made it to the bottom of the stairs.
Her and mummy's reaction was priceless as they both did a double take.

"Wait! Jumoke! Is that you????" Mummy asked.

"Oh my goodness!!! It is a lie!!!" The lady said.

"Susan it is me ooo...wait are you my neighbor? I can't believe this!"

They hugged one another and jumped up and down like teenagers.

"Are these your children? They're so cute!" Mummy stated                                                    

"Yes, my twins...meet Taiwo and Kenny."

"Good afternoon ma." They said in unison.

"Good afternoon my loves!" She hugged them.

"Are these your girls??? They're gorgeous."

We both greeted her.

All of a sudden mummy got quiet and looked uncomfortable. It seemed like the euphoria just disappeared. She had a confused look inked all over her face.

"Susan, what's up? Are you okay?" Mrs. Jumoke asked.

"Yeah, I am fine. Sorry just thought of something."

We stayed briefly and mummy said she had to go. She said we would come back later.
When we got home she was acting restless. Shortly after she retreated into her room and said she had to take a nap.

****
Later that evening, while we sat at the dinner table she said she had to tell us something as she fidgeted with her food.

"I really don't know how to say this. I've been thinking about it all day. Replaying this conversation in my head continually."

Mercy and I had concerned looks on our faces. She looked so troubled.
"Tomiyin, that lady that we met this afternoon..."

"Our neighbor?"  I asked

"Yes, our neighbor. Ummm, she is...she is your mother."

I dropped my spoon and jaw at once.

"What are you kidding me???" I couldn't believe my ears.

"I am serious dear." She looked at me intently

I just sat frozen in time; I didn't know whether to laugh or cry; to be sad or happy. I looked at Mercy for comfort; she looked more confused than I did.

****
The next day, Mummy decided to go meet with her one on one and inform her of the news.

That one hour that she spent in her house felt like eternity.

When she came back, I searched her face for an answer. I didn't get one.
She sat me down.

"Tomiyin, I've informed her. She was very shocked at first, but she is very happy now."

I nodded as I hung on to every word.

"She actually went to the village three weeks ago to look for you but nobody had an answer. She has been trying to connect with you for years but big mummy didn't think it was a good idea, she told her to move on with her life. She didn't think that her husband would accept you and she didn't want you to be hurt all over again. She was not informed when big mummy passed away. She only found out when she returned to Nigeria and went to the village to look for you."

I sat speechless; was this a dream?

Was this really happening? Was this the connection that I felt the other day? Is this the reason why I was so excited? I didn’t get it! It did not make sense!

I had to pinch myself to come back to reality.

****
A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door.

It was her. It was my mother.

Before I could think twice, I ran into her arms. She embraced me and we both cries tears of joy. It was a beautiful reunion. Every feeling of hurt, neglect and disappointment ceased at that moment. I fell in love with her instantly.

We spent the rest of the night together, catching up on the past sixteen years. It was like I've always known her. I looked into her eyes and I saw myself. We looked just alike; I didn’t notice it before now.

I later went on to meet her husband and my half siblings.

The next few months were awesome. I finally had my own family. I finally had answers. The void in my heart was now filled. I reflected on all the events that led to this moment and I marveled at God.

Indeed God makes all things beautiful in its time! My God is more than enough for me to praise!!!


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! This has to continue o Bunmi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an awesome piece Pastor. Oluwatomiyin in my own life too. Greater Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaank you so much for reading and for your comments. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.