Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Short Story: Oluwatomiyin III

Hello! Thanks for stopping by today!!!

I hope that you've been enjoying this short story so far. Be sure to check out part one and part two if you haven't done so already.


ENJOY part three below!


****


When I first asked the question that big mommy failed to answer, I was eight. I never bothered asking her again. The truth is I was afraid to know the answer. In my mind, my world was perfect. I didn't want anything to mess it up. Big mommy's response was enough to shut me up forever.


Now at the age of ten, I guess the Gods deemed it the right time for me to discover my true identity. After a long day at school, I just wanted to sleep. When I arrived big mommy wasn't home. I quickly changed out of my school uniform and headed to the kitchen. I opened the fridge but didn't like any of the options; and I was too lazy to cook something new. I opened up the cupboard and grabbed a packet of indomie noodles. I tossed it into a pot along with chopped onions and peppers, just the way I liked it! I added an egg to the pot and shut the lid tight. After about 15 minutes, I added the seasoning package and a teaspoon of crayfish.

Ten minutes later, my belly was singing "Hallelujah...Hallelujah...Hallelujah". I was full and satisfied! The next thing on my agenda was SLEEP! Oh how excited I was to lay my head on my pillow and begin to count sheep. As I laid on my bed and prepared myself to sleep, I heard something drop to the floor. I looked down and it was the notebook from that morning. I wanted to ignore it and shut my eyes but something told me to pick it up.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I lifted myself from the bed; I finally picked up the notebook. I opened the first page and the hand writing looked quite similar to mine, but it definitely wasn't my book. The notebook was old as the pages had turned a slight shade of yellow. After reading the first page, I couldn't put the notebook down. Page after page unfolded the mystery of my identity.

The notebook belonged to my birth mom. She told her story, her emotions laced in every letter that she wrote. She was distraught. Her life changed in a matter of seconds because of a costly mistake. Her parents sent her away and the love of her life denied her and her unborn child. She seemed hopeless and uncertain about the future. She wanted to be happy about me but she couldn't. She tried to get rid of me but I didn't budge. She just wanted to be a normal teenager. But now she had to be responsible. She couldn't continue her education, she couldn't see her friends anymore, she felt like her life was over.

Her days were filled with daydreams as she nurtured me in her belly. All she did was eat and sleep, big mommy didn't allow her to lift a finger. Jumoke Ogunrayo felt empty; she felt all alone. The whole world had turn their backs on her, except big mommy.

As my kicks got stronger with each passing month, she began to see a fragment of light at the end of the tunnel. She said that it all started to feel real and she suddenly felt some excitement as my due date drew closer. She couldn't place a finger on the origin of her excitement but she welcomed that feeling. 

She explained the day I was born word for word. She said I was beautiful. I had my dad's nose and hair but everything else was all hers! She said that tears of joy streamed down her face as she carried me in her arms for the first time. She said that I was her prized possession. She couldn't believe that I was hers!

She wrote me this letter: 

Oluwatomiyin, I love you with all of my heart. Thank you for making me a mother. You are perfect, you are adorable, you are so beautiful. I have to admit that this past nine months have been rough. Everyone made me feel like I made a mistake when I created you. I felt that way also for a very long time. But as I look into your eyes, I know that you're far from a mistake. You are a gift from above. I will love and cherish you forever my lovely daughter.

My eyes welled up with tears as I read those words. She loved me? Wow! I didn't know if I should be happy or sad. Her words seemed genuine but her actions didn't align. Why did she disappear if she really loved me?

The answer wasn't far fetched. After reading the next few pages, I discovered what happened. After six months of caring for me, her parents sent for her. She was ecstatic! They had forgiven her and wanted her back in their lives. Her excitement was very evident as she counted down the days to the reunion on the pages of that notebook. 

About a week to the reunion, her excitement fizzled. After a phone conversation with her mom, she was informed that I wouldn't be going back with her. Her mom told her that she had to finish her education and I'd be too much of a distraction. She was crushed, she complained to big mommy and cried herself to sleep countless times. Big mommy reassured her that it was for good. She told her that once she was educated, she'd be able to take better care of me. That stirred her up, she was determined to finish school and come back for me.

But that never happened.

To be continued...

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.