Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Short Story: Oluwatomiyin

Hello Everyone!

Today I will be featuring a new short story titled "Oluwatomiyin". Oluwatomiyin means my God is enough for me to praise; it is a Nigerian word from the yoruba language. This story is a reminder that God has a plan for each and every life; there are no mistakes with God. No matter what circumstances and situations you may find yourself in, God has an excellent and beautiful purpose for your existence. That purpose is BIG and you won't be satisfied until you discover and fulfill it.

I hope that you will be blessed by this short story, thanks for reading!


****

My mother fell in love with my dad during their high school (secondary school) days. They were young, full of energy and high off of life as they knew it. They celebrated reaching the six month mark of their relationship by losing their virginity to one another. Six weeks later, my mom fainted during their outdoor sports event at school; she was a track and field star. She was rushed to the hospital and discovered that I was conceived. Her heart broke into a million pieces, she was ashamed and afraid. She was 16 years old; she wasn't ready for adult responsibilities.

When her parents arrived to at the hospital, she informed they were crushed. They scolded her and called her every name in the book. They couldn't phantom how a pastor's child could be pregnant. They did all that they could to raise her right. They taught her the ways of the Lord; but instead she decided to take a ride on the dark side and party with sin. They were livid and they didn't hide it one bit.

My mom, her name is Jumoke by the way...felt her whole world caving in around her. My dad, Tunji... the first man that she ever loved also turned his back against her. He told my mom that there was no way he could father a child, after all they only did 'it' once. He denied that he was my father and told my mom to never come contact him again. He said that she was a liar and a slut. He told her that she lied to him about being a virgin. My dad said that she was pregnant for someone else and was trying to pin it on her. When my mom's parents arrived at Tunji's parents' house, he maintained his verdict but added a twist. It was his story and he stuck to it! He claimed that he never laid a finger on my mom; therefore there was no way that he could impregnate her. My grandparents apologized for wasting their time and drove home in silence.

The silence ate away at my mom, she felt trapped in a nightmare. As they sat in Lagos traffic for 3 hours, tears kept streaming down her face. She should have known better, he made her do it. She wanted to make him happy. She wanted their love to last forever. Who knew that 30 minutes of frocklicing with her lover could change her life forever?

She had no other choice; she went the chemist (pharmacy) bright and early the next morning. She asked the chemist for medication that she could use to abort a baby. They transaction took place in between whispers; once she handed over the money she received the deadly weapon. She took two pills as she was told for the first night and experienced minimal cramping in her stomach but nothing happened. She repeated the dosage two nights in a row, still nothing happened. She used the last of her money to buy that medication; with no other option she accepted her fate.

On most days, going to school was horrifying. She dreaded having to see Tunji, he pretended like she didn't exist. When she walked pass people she was greeted with stares as rumors spread. Some people said that she had a sexually transmitted disease; others said she had an abortion. Tunji told his friends that she cheated on him. She couldn't focus; she wallowed in misery while sitting in class. She was shocked at how a straight A student, track and field star, daughter of well-known pastors, and the girlfriend of the most handsome boy at school become a laughing stock. If only she could turn back the hands of time.

****

I've always been a survivor; I never go down without a fight. She had no choice but to accept the fact that I was stuck with her for life. After a few weeks, her parents decided to send her to go live in the village with her maternal grandma. It was bittersweet, she would miss her family but needed an escape from her fairytale turned nightmare life. As she packed her bags, she secretly prayed that somehow things would get better.

On the day of my birth, my mom never knew what was coming for her. As she swept the front of the house, her water suddenly broke. A bell went off in her head signifying that it was time. She wobbled to her grandma's room as fast as she could. 

"Ma'mi! Ma'mi! Ma'mi" {Translation: My mother! My mother! My mother!}.

Grandma was fast asleep. She felt my head descending into her pelvis and she let out a loud gasp. Grandma jumped out of bed, took one look at my mom and started praying for my safe delivery. She called out to her neighbor to quickly get the local midwife. The midwife arrived 10 minutes later to find my head peeking at her. She encouraged my mom to push, with that singular push I was introduced to this world. A world that I'd come to have a love-hate relationship with. My name is Oluwatomiyin.

Stay tuned for my story!


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.