Friday, May 27, 2016

Short Story: Oluwatomiyin IV

Hello! Welcome to this space!  If you’re new here, you’re in for a treat! If you’ve been here before, you know what to do: relax, sit back, kick up your feet and enjoy the new installment of the short story titled, “Oluwatomiyin.” Be sure to catch up on the last three installments if haven’t done so already. 


****
 reread every line and each page repeatedly. I felt every emotion she felt with every word that I read. I felt like I went back in time as I read those pages. I felt for her, I loved her. Ultimately I made up my mind to forgive her. 

I held on to that notebook like a prized possession. It was all I had to connect me to my mother. It was my best kept secret; I didn't tell anyone what I've discovered. I didn't want to share; I wanted it all to myself. It was a great feeling...I found a missing piece of my identity.

Well that feeling didn't last long. Every night it was my daily ritual to read a page or two of my treasured notebook before drifting off into deep sleep. On this particular day, I broke the rules and decided to read a few pages right before my after school nap. I read the love letter that she wrote to me for the umpteenth time and started having sweet dreams in a matter of seconds.

Big mummy had been calling my name for some time, but I was knocked out. I didn't hear a thing. She came bursting through the door of my room. "Tomiyin! Tomiyin! Are you okay? I've been calling you!” I jumped out of bed suddenly as my beloved notebook fell to the ground. I quickly grabbed it, trying to tuck it under my pillow while hoping that she didn't notice it. 

"I'm sorry ma, I didn't realize that I was so tired...I didn't hear you ma."

"What are you hiding?"

"Ma?"

"You heard me, what book is that? Why are you hiding it?"

Before I could answer her question, she grabbed it.

She instantly began to read it. As she read it, I saw that her facial expression began to transform when she realized what it was and who the author was.

She couldn't take it any longer; she sat down on the bed beside me and held the notebook to her chest. All of a sudden, tears began to roll down her face. I sat there stunned, I didn't know what to do or say.

After crying for a few minutes, she caught her breath and began to apologize.

"I'm sorry dear, I should have told you all this while but I didn't know how."

"Please forgive me."

I was still stunned; I really didn't understand why she was apologizing. Without uttering a word, I hugged her and laid my head on her chest. We both wept, after a while there were no more tears and we both sat there quietly. To make it worse the power went out in the midst of our tears, not only were we both overwhelmed with emotion, but we were both sweating profusely also.

"Big mummy, it's okay. How was your outing? Let me make you something to eat."

The subject had been successfully changed. In no time, we were all laughs as we enjoyed our bowls of fresh fish pepper soup and boiled yam accompanied with chilled bottles of Malta.

After eating, I washed the dishes and tidied up the kitchen. Afterwards, I went on to do my homework and then I decided to watch television while we still had power. Grandma joined me as we laughed hysterically while watching a Nollywood film starring Funke Akindele. She was one of my favorite actresses.

By the time the movie ended, it was way past my bed time. Big mummy and I prayed together as we always did and went our separate ways. I spent the next few minutes thinking about what took place earlier. The emotions that filled those few moments after my big secret was let loose gave me goose bumps.

There had to be more to the story then what was written on those pages...

To be continued....

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.