Thursday, May 05, 2016

Short Story: Oluwatomiyin II

Hello!

Welcome to today's  blog post!

I started a short story series a few weeks ago titled "Oluwatomiyin" [translation: My God is enough for me to praise]. If you haven't done so already, please read the first installment here.

Enjoy the second installment below:


My mom nursed me for six months and off she went to continue her life like nothing happened. I stayed back in the village with my great grandmother. I referred to my great grandmother as big mommy. My mother came around once a year during the Christmas holiday. She'd bring me lots of gifts and spend two days with me. I never knew that she was the one who gave birth to me; big mommy told me to call her 'small mommy'.

I loved her gifts more than her company. Most times she'd stare at me for moments without end. Her eyes would be filled with  tears that threatened to escape down the side of her cheeks. I'd just smile at her and give her a big hug. I would do anything to see her smile. I was a happy child, I always flinched at the sight of sadness. She would hugged me tightly in return and whisper that she loved me in my ear. In a few seconds, she'd have a pseudo smile on her face. 

At the age of six, small mommy's visits suddenly stopped. I missed the gifts and her hugs. I cried on the first Christmas without her. Big mommy consoled me with biscuits (cookies) and sweets (candy), I eventually got over it. After some time, I forgot about small mommy. When memories of our time together would cross my mind, I'd brush them aside and focus on something else. 
*****

Big mommy was the absolute best. Her love for me was extravagant. I never lacked anything. One day while playing outside with my friends Sharon and Mercy. Big mommy called my name "Oluwatomiyin! Oluwatomiyin! Ni bolo wa?" [Translation: Oluwatomiyin! Oluwatomiyin! Where are you)]. I was two houses away. I stood up immediately and replied, "Maaaa, mo gbo" [Translation: Yes ma'am, I'm coming.] Before I scurried off, Sharon said "Tomi, come why is your mum so old? Are you sure that's your mum?" For the first time ever, I realized that she was much older than my friend's mothers. She was even older than my teachers. I shrugged it off and ran straight home. 

Later on after dinner, Sharon's question popped up in my mind once again. After washing the dishes, I headed to big mommy's room to give her a good night kiss. Before I could stopped myself, I asked "Big mommy, who's my mum? Are you really my mum?" She smiled heartily and replied, "I knew this day would come, but I'll give you the answer when you're old enough to understand." "Oluwatomiyin, just know that I love you and that you'll always be my baby." She hugged me and asked me to close the door behind me when I left.

I went to my room and cried myself to sleep. I'm not sure why I cried but I suddenly felt incomplete. I felt alone. What did big mommy mean? Wasn't she my mother? These questions hunted me until I discovered a diary two years later. I was running late for school, as I hurriedly put on my earring the back piece fell to the ground and rolled under the wardrobe. I hissed in annoyance and got on all fours. My eyes scanned back and forth repeatedly until I saw it glistening beside a notebook. I quickly grabbed it as my hand brushed against the notebook. I grabbed the notebook and tossed it on my bed. I clasped the back piece and my earring together and ran off.

To be continued....

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt


4 comments:

  1. I love stories and I am definitely enjoying this. Looking forward to the next episode. Want to know if it's a true life story though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dolly!! Thanks for reading. It is not a true story. Stay tuned, it gets better.

      Delete
  2. Niiice! I can't wait for the next episode! And hopefully it's longer ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.