Saturday, February 13, 2016

Wake Up Call

Hello Everyone!

Thank you so much for reading the posts on this blog! I truly pray that you'll be blessed as you visit this blog from time to time. I'll continue my personal testimony on today's post. Enjoy!

*****
Things between Raymond and I went from bad to worse. He wasn't the man that I thought he was. I was disappointed; he deceived me...well I actually-kinda-sorta walked into it with my eyes wide open. While I was back in America, we used to speak every morning when he got to work. During those calls we'd talk about our plans for the day and have our morning devotion together. We'd share the Word and pray together. Fast forward to me moving to Nigeria and he barely called. I met his mom once, she was a sweetheart and we communicated often. However, for some reason he was hesitant to introduce me to his sisters (he has three older sisters and a younger brother). One of his sisters called and asked me to buy her a handbag when I was coming to Nigeria, I actually did but never heard from her after that. I never got a thank you; I figure that she didn't like it. I never met his brother physically but we spoke on the phone and exchanged Blackberry messages from time to time. 

Raymond started complaining about me always being at church. That was a red flag! To him, I was a goody-two-shoes and I needed to live a little. When I visited Lagos, he'd only take me out at night. And he would almost always have to have a drink. One day we went to meet up with his friend at the beach. His friend had a bottle of liquor and asked if we wanted some. I declined of course, but Raymond gladly said yes. A few minutes later he turned to me and said, "Are you that holy? Why can't you just have a drink? It's not like you're better than anyone". While he said those words, he had an annoyed look on his face. I was crushed but managed to paste a smile on my face and not say anything in return.

My birthday came around and Raymond disappointed me as usual. I asked him to come a visit me so that we could celebrate but of course "work" got in the way. Thankfully, Pastor Tee baked me a cake. He, his wife, and two church members brought it to my place and prayed with me. I felt special! The next day one of my Nysc friends offered to take me out for lunch; that made my day! The food was yummy and I enjoyed his company. Raymond didn't even bother sending a gift or anything. He did the norm called to wish me a happy birthday. And surprisingly he had a few of his friends call to wish me a happy birthday also. But I wasn't moved.


After that day, I started reconsidering my decision to remain in a relationship with him. I decided to pray about it and I also spoke to Pastor Tee about it. I had a plan for my life and I was falling behind schedule. I was supposed to be married at the age of 25, have my first baby by 27, travel around the world and continue to live my life on purpose. Time was ticking and Mr. Raymond didn't seem to be on the same page. He'd mention us moving in together after my service year. There was never a hint of commitment. One day I decided to randomly ask him what he felt about sex before marriage. His answer shocked me; it was different from the one he gave me when we first met. He told me that sex before marriage wasn't necessarily a bad thing because a man has needs. After picking up my jaw from the floor, I made an excuse to get off the phone. The scales had fallen off my eyes, this was my wake up call!


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi



7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.