Saturday, December 12, 2015

Camp Chronicles II

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for visiting the blog today, you are appreciated!!!


Today I continue the Camp Chronicles series, in which I discuss my time during NYSC camp. Enjoy!


**** Anyone that knows me well, knows that I love good food! I am a self proclaimed *foodie* and I am not ashamed of it!

So how did this foodie survive at camp??? Sigh...it sure was not easy. With the conditions of the camp, food was the least my worries. I ate to survive not to enjoy...I guess that's how it is suppose to be right? Hmm...if you say so! Well I believe that life is meant to enjoy and one way to enjoy is by eating well, can I get an AMEN!!! lol...I digress.


I thank God that my aunt and cousin told me to pack milo (hot chocolate), garri, cereal, powdered milk and a few other snacks...they were my saving grace. The food that was served at the camp's kitchen was tasteless, watered down, hard, non-filling and any other word that you can use to describe horrible food. I felt like I was serving a prison sentence.


Thank God for the mami market. It was designated at the far end of the camp area. The mami market was your one stop shop for everything from socks, snacks, notebooks, to a new hair style, to tailoring services...name it and it was there available at the mami market, for a fee of course. 

One of the things that brought me to the mami market daily was food! It was the go to spot for hot freshly cooked meals. Pepper soup (a spicy broth served with either fish or meat) was available for the rainy nights, jollof rice and meat if you were feeling festive, Ogi and akara to jump start your morning, chicken and chips (French fries) for those that were feeling tush (fancy) and the list goes on.

I was introduced to an interesting combination at the mami market. It instantly became one my favorites when they jollof rice was not smiling and everything screamed BORING! I met indomie (ramen noodles) and fried egg! *Licking lips* Add sauteed tomatoes, onions, and peppers and I was good. When I was first told about the combination, I politely declined. God bless whomever invented that divine creation. Many vendors made this combination but I  had my favorite "auntie" that knew how to make my tummy smile, she knew the way I liked it!

I was later introduced to some amazing Egusi soup by a friend that I met at camp. Her camp boyfriend took her to one of the vendors at the mami market from time to eat egusi soup. She raved about how good it was over and over again. She invited me to join them on one of their dates, when I heard that it was free I did think twice! He who does not like free food, shall cast the first stone! Thank you! Don't judge me! Lol. While growing up, my mom only made egusi on a few occasions, so I was never a huge fan of it even though I liked it. When the egusi arrived coupled with a huge mountain of eba, I wonder how anyone could ever conquer that mountain. Like who possibly eats this much eba? 

I sat back at first to observe how everyone (about three other people joined us) would begin the journey. I watched as everyone washed their hands in a wooden bowl filled with water. Me being me wanted to ask for a fork, but I didn't want to look out of place. My American accent already had all eyes on me, so I had to play along. I didn't want to become someone's experiment for the night.

I looked at my friend as scooped a pile from the mountain of eba, and rolled it in the palm of her hands a few times until it became smooth ball. I looked around and the others followed suite. I repeated the action but with less expertise. Some people talk about love at first sight...this was love at first bite. The egusi and eba was savory and hot, just the way I like! I secretly wished that I could wrap it up and take to my room and devour it with no eyes on me. But I kept my cool, everyone was silent as our taste buds sang a new song unto the Lord. That's the kind of meal that will have you singing "For the Lord is good, for the Lord is good and his mercies endureth forever!". 

As the eba and egusi entered into my mouth continually, I secretly whispered, "Where have you been all my life?". Yes it was that serious! With the limited choices of good food that I was exposed prior, I was overjoyed. At that moment of time, I secretly approved of my friend's camp relationship...it was a blessing in disguise for me...lol. Before I knew it, I had conquered that mountain! I looked at my bowl that once filled with a surplus of eba and was shocked, where did it go??? My tummy hissed and mocked me "See yourself!" I ignored it and left an insignificant amount in the bowl so that I wouldn't mess up my "American ajebutta creditably". I ate my two pieces of meat and silently said a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord.

Needless to say eba and egusi was added to my list of favorite eats during my stay at camp. On most mornings, I surprisingly found myself on a line (queue) for Ogi (my mom used to force me to eat it as a child) and akara, I tried a few other things like the chicken and chips but I was team indomie and egg or team egusi and eba on most days for lunch or dinner. Once in a blue, the kitchen served something eatable so I didn't have spend money at the mami market. On other days, I'd just stick to my stash of garri, cereal, snacks, etc and call it day. 

I sincerely apologize if I have made anyone hungry! I hope you weren't fasting while reading this o! My sincere apologies...lol.

Once again thanks for reading! Love you all sooooooo much!!!



You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.