Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Block That Thought!

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)

When you truly believe in something, it'll be obvious by your actions and the words that you speak. If you want to know the contents of a person's heart and know what they stand for, just spend a few minutes conversing with them and it will be evident(Matthew 12:34).

Our beliefs are formed by what we allow into our hearts; this is the center of our being, it's the control center of our lives. You are what you think (Proverbs 23:7). This is why the bible tells us to guard our hearts above all (Proverbs 4:23).

I used to be very emotional, sensitive and analytical. I rationalized everything and created scenarios in my mind that weren't necessarily true. Someone would tell me one thing and I would dwell on it for days, beating myself up and feeling terrible. When in reality the person probably didn't mean any harm. 

My heart was filled with anger, pain, shame, disappointment, lack of confidence and hurt. These feelings spilled over into my attitude and actions, I was extremely moody. As I began my walk with God he taught me how to change my thought pattern. 

I learned that I could control my thoughts. Someone may be thinking, "But at times, random thoughts just pop into my head." Well, I have good news for you today, there's a trick that works all the time. If you keep at it, you'll gain control over your thoughts. It's quite simple, every time a negative thought comes, speak! Once you speak, your mind will automatically refocus to what you said. Why don't you try it right now? Come say something and see what happens!

For example, these thoughts come to your mind "I am so broke right now, I have no money in my account, no one to help me out, I have tons of bills to pay, am I ever going to be financially stable?". Replaying those thoughts continually will only lead to sadness and discouragement. Instead, when such a thought comes, block it by boldly declaring "I AM BLESSED!", "The Lord supplies all my needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus!", "The Lord has given me all things richly to enjoy!"

You don't have to see it to believe it, in the kingdom of God "Believing is seeing". We don't rely on our five physical senses or try to be "realistic". Our reality is that God is our father and he loves us with an everlasting love. Our reality is that our father is willing and more than able to do exceeding, abundantly, and above what we can ask or think (Ephesians 3:20). We speak his Word to silence the enemy. His Word is true, it will always prevail.

Don't allow the voice of the devil or negative emotions to cloud your thoughts, they're all lies. The aim of those thoughts is to try to distract you and influence your belief system. Don't accept those thoughts, block them!

Keep your thoughts in check!

The Thought Checklist:

1. Is it true? (Can you find evidence in the Word of God to back it up? do you have proof?)

2. Is it honest? (Is it a rumor? Are you 'keeping it real'? Don't lie to yourself!)

3. Is it just? (Is it fair? Do you know all sides to the story? Can you come to a reputable conclusion?)

4. Is it pure? (Who or what does this thought glorify? God or the devil?)

5. Is it lovely? (Does this thought fill your heart with love?)

6. Is it of good report? (Are you focusing on the 'bad' and missing out on the good?)

7. Is it virtuous? (Is it honorable or morally good?)

8. Is it praise worthy? (Does it fill your heart with gratitude and your lips with praise?)

Confession: In the name of Jesus, I declare that my mind is blessed. Therefore my thoughts are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praise worthy. I control my thoughts with my words, I speak the Word of God. Amen 

Prayer starter: Heavenly Father, I thank you for giving me the power to control my thoughts. I receive revelation of your Word and grace to speak it at all times and silence ever contrary thought. In Jesus' name, Amen. 

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:



1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!



2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.