Monday, August 24, 2015

Iwalewa

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a good weekend? 

Today we are going to take a little detour from our regular posts on my personal testimony. I will be featuring short stories from time to time. Today I will be featuring a story that was originally shared on my facebook page last year. My short stories are all fictional, however some of my inspiration to write these stories comes from real life experiences. 

Today I will be featuring a story titled, "Iwalewa". Iwalewa is a Nigerian name of Yoruba origin (one of the major tribes in Nigeria). Iwalewa means 'Character is Beauty'. This is a story of a young woman that overcame despite the many curb balls that life threw her way.

Be blessed as you read!

********


Hi, my name is Iwalewa Oni. I am a Nigerian American. I was born in Brooklyn, NY at Downstate Hospital on February 26, 1990. My parents were overjoyed on the day I was born. They prayed for a girl after already having two boys. When my dad first laid eyes on me, he said I was the most beautiful girl that he'd ever seen. He told me that when he smiled at me, I blushed and looked away. It was then that my name came to him, Iwaoluwalewa. Which means Godly character is beautiful. However everyone calls me Iwalewa for short. Here's my story. 

The number seven was always my favorite number, my mom told me that it was the number of perfection when I was a little girl. Perfection in all things was my goal so the number seven stuck to me. That was until that dreadful day that I'll never forget. December 7th 2007 was a regular day or so I thought. I woke up exhausted from studying for midterm exams all night. I was certainly looking forward to Christmas break. What kept me going was that I'd be graduating from high school in June of next year. Clara Barton High School was okay but I was so over the drama and pettiness of my age mates. I was looking forward to getting out of Brooklyn and going to college.

I wasn't the most intelligent student but I had pretty good grades. I grew up with a single parent and three siblings, I wanted to make my mom happy because of all the sacrifices that she made for us. After my dad's death she was thronged into the workforce again after being a housewife for 8 years. The day daddy died I cried all night long, I was his princess and he was the epitome of a great husband to my mom and an amazing father to my siblings and I. I being the third born and only girl needed daddy's love and he lavished it on me. It has been four years since his passing and I'm grateful for the years we shared. I have friends who didn't grow up with a father and the difference is clear. Many of them were constantly in search of love in all the wrong places, but I wasn't interested because my father's love was enough to last me for a lifetime. 

I looked at my alarm clock again and rolled my eyes, I was running late for school. And I hate being late. I had ten minutes to get ready and that was impossible. I read my morning devotional and prayed for a great day ahead and for success on my midterm exams. It was now 7:45 am and my first class was at 8:00 am. I took a quick shower brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and dabbed on a little makeup. I threw on a pair of jeans, a denim shirt, and a pair of leopard print flats. I grabbed my school bag and my small duffle bag with my work uniform and dashed out of the door. 

I got on the Q train at 8:12 am, I had on my head phones listening to "Faithful is our God" by Hezekiah Walker. Every time I listened to that song, I was encouraged. God has indeed been faithful to me and I owed him my life. I got to school at 8:25 am, thankfully I was able to grab a bagel and a small cup of hot chocolate on the way. I went through the usually routine once I arrived at school, showed my school ID to the security guards and successfully went through the metal detectors. I finally got to class and quietly took a seat at the back. Many of my classmates were half asleep and others were in their own worlds. Early classes weren't a favorite among most people. I tried to listen and take as much notes as possible while eating my breakfast. It was our U.S. history class and I must admit that it was a bit boring. But I had an exam to pass so I sucked it up.

The rest of the day went on fine, I attended all my classes, caught up with friends, and met with my guidance counselor about college preparations. Now it was time to head to work. I worked at Wendy's on Utica avenue. I really didn't like working at a fast food restaurant but it was better than nothing. I didn't always have to run to my mommy for funds, even though they didn't pay much. And working there didn't help with my waistline, I had unlimited access to food and I took advantage of it. Being a foodie, I was always being creative with my food choices. I ate everything from cheese burgers with bacon topped with chicken nuggets to bacon, cheese, chilly, and chive french fries. Yea, I am a foodie!

I arrived at work 15 minutes before my scheduled work time and decided to grab something to eat before a long night. I got a spicy chicken sandwich and a sour cream and chive baked potato. After eating, I changed into my uniform and clocked in for work. Here we go, let the craziness begin!


You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.