Monday, August 17, 2015

Goodbyes & Hellos

A few days later, I headed back home to round up and get ready for the big move. I had so much to do in so little time. I packed for days, I really didn't realize that I had so much stuff. A number of events took place as my trip drew near. I had brunch with two of my favorite ladies as it was our custom. I said goodbye to the teenagers that I had the privilege to work with at church for a few years. My sister also threw me a going away party. Then I was off to New York to spend some quality time with my family.

Various emotions were circulating throughout my being. Where did the boldness come from? Was this really happening? Was I sure about this? Nonetheless, I kept my focus. I decided to follow God's plan for my life, there was no turning back now. 

The day had finally come, it was so tough. Tears ran down my cheeks as I said goodbye to my family and life as I knew it. I felt alone and uncertain, but that didn't stop me from boarding the plane. I was armed with sleeping pills and popped two in my mouth as soon as I found my seat. If I had not done so, I'm pretty sure that I would have cried throughout the flight.

I arrived in Lagos, Nigeria to the glory of God. I called my uncle and informed him and he told me that he was stuck in traffic and that I should take a cab. He couldn't be serious! A cab with all my bags? A young female that had no idea where anything was? Before I could get upset, a man suddenly ran towards me "Auntie, Auntie....you're welcome." I gave him a dirty look as I was not ready to fall for any Lagos pranks.

He smiled and said, "It's me! It's me! Your auntie's driver." I still didn't recognize him, he proceeded to tell me my aunt's name and address. He reminded me that I was around just a few weeks ago wit my sister. I proceeded with caution, I couldn't understand why I did not remember this guy. I usually don't do well with things not going the way I planned, nonetheless I tried not to get annoyed. Thankfully, he was telling me the truth, I got to my aunt's house safely.

I chilled for the next few days before it was time to pick up my call up letter (a NYSC letter that informs you of where you'd be attending boot camp for 3 weeks, it'll be located in the state where you'll work for the next year). Prior to then, my mom contacted one of her cousins that worked with NYSC. He promised me that he would work it all out so that if be posted to Lagos. I was rested assured, at least I had a number of family members in Lagos.

Imagine my shock when I went to pick up my call up letter, I'm surprised that I was able to make it home without passing out. When I read the contents of the letter, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was not posted to Lagos. Instead I was posted to Ede in Osun state. I had never heard of this place before and it sounded scary! No way! I quickly called Raymond, my family, and friends. 

Everyone was as hysterical as I was...some a little more. My sister said "Ede! What is that??? I'm sorry but when I hear that name, all I can think of is voodoo". Raymond came over right after work to calm me down. He suggested that we prayed about it together first, asking God for his Will to be done. Afterwards he suggested waiting a few months so that I could be re-posted. My mom called her cousin and he was telling stories, apparently he didn't have the power to get me posted to Lagos. My aunt was not having it, she said "How can they post you outside of Lagos or Abuja? You that you've lived in America your whole life! How will you cope in that town?" My friends were equally concerned, they asked if I was sure that I could live outside of Lagos.

Initially I was afraid, I could not imagine being all alone. That night, I decided to drown out all the voices of my friends and family and get quiet with God. I remembered that I went to Nigeria by instruction from God, so I said to myself "If God wanted me in Lagos, he would have made sure I got posted to Lagos." So I made up my mind to go, I still can't say where the boldness came from. I informed all my folks and of course they thought I was crazy yet again. 

My aunt and mom calmed down a bit when someone told them that once I got to camp, I'd be given the opportunity to be posted back to Lagos. My aunt would get her doctor friend to write a fake note stating that I was very sick and had to be close to family. I hesitantly agreed. Camp was set to start in less than a week, so I had to get ready. I bought food items, clothing, etc. And I tried to mentally prepare myself to be in God knows where for three weeks straight. 

The day had finally arrived, the place was about three hours away. My uncle got a cab to take me there. It was a long ride, I slept through most of it so that the time could go by faster. Upon arrival at the entrance of camp, I saw soldiers standing in front and not allowing anyone to enter except the camp attendees. I wanted to cry when the driver left, I was officially on my own with my extremely big bag. 

To be continued...

You're blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.