Friday, June 01, 2018

Supernatural Woman VI: Facing Reality

Source; Google

Hello! Welcome!

Happy New Month!!!
Wow, it's June already; we are half way through 2018!

I am excited to see what the remainder of the year has to offer; and I hope you are also. The year may have not started out as you intended it to, but the good news is that you're still standing! And it’s not over yet! Keep believing, keep pushing, and keep surging ahead...KEEP FAITH ALIVE!!!

****

Today I continue my story about recovery after pregnancy...enjoy!

****

I assumed that once I arrived at home, everything would be easy...breezy. After all, I had my parents and siblings around. BOY WAS I MISTAKEN!!!

After arriving at home that evening, my mother gave my daughter the traditional Nigerian bath; plus and minus something’s here and there...according to my preference. She also used a hot towel to rub/press on my body, especially my tummy region...it apparently helps the healing process-aiding the tummy to go down (it didn't work for me though). After all of the above, I was ready to have a good night's rest....hmmm....

I remember the first night alone with my baby. Before I went to bed, my mom asked if she should sleep in the room with me and I declined; I wanted some space, I had enough of people invading my space at the hospital. If I only knew, I would have obliged...my daughter woke up every two hours to eat. It felt like a joke; how was it possible? How did she know what time to wake up? Could she possibly be that hungry?

I was exhausted...I was physically and emotionally drained...It felt like someone was pranking me. I was relieved the next morning when my mom arrived to help take my baby's bath. As I handed over my daughter to my mother, a few tears escaped my eyes. With concern etched all over her face, she asked "Bunmi, kilode? (What’s wrong?)".  I could barely utter a response; I wiped my tears and laid back on my bed. 

I didn't get as much as rest as I hoped to because my mom had a million and one questions about what the baby would wear, what I'd eat, etc. Within a few minutes, I was up again. I got myself together and went on with my day. I took a shower, my mom made me breakfast and I attempted to breast feed my baby to no avail. I also tried the breast pump but didn't have a good milk supply; it was discouraging. I went online and decided to purchase "Mother's Milk" an herbal tea that was said to aid with breast milk production. After it arrived and as I became consistent with pumping about every 2 to 3 hours, my milk supply increased significantly; I had more than enough to feed my baby. I didn't feel as bad anymore about her not latching on to my breasts; bottle feeding her with breast milk was just as good.

*****
I was given so many instructions by my doctor since I had a C-section. I was told not to use the stairs (however my room was looked on the second floor of my parent's home); I was told not to lift things that were beyond a certain weight; I was told not to bend down much, etc. I was also informed of the possibility of my C-section wound tearing, etc. However I was determined not to be fearful; I did not take the pain medication that was given to me…to be honest, I didn’t have much pain... just a bit of discomfort. I continued with business as usual, of course with some caution but I refused to be limited (it's the stubborn part of me).

During this time, the Holy Spirit began to work on my mind and heart. I was able to get over the feeling of being a failure for having a C-section; I realized that the fact that my baby and I were alive and well was in itself supernatural. I became extremely grateful to God for bringing me from conception to delivery gracefully. I saw motherhood as a great privilege and honor and I wasn't going to allow the devil to distract me from that fact.

*****
A few days after our homecoming, I had to take my daughter to the hospital to see her pediatrician. After being checked, I was told that she was doing just fine! All glory to God! I also used that opportunity to see my doctor in reference to my blood pressure. I was put on a machine to monitor my blood pressure for some time; thankfully my daughter was asleep throughout the process so I could focus and be relaxed. The results showed that my blood pressure was still fluctuating between being too high and being normal; the doctor stated that it had something to do with pregnancy. She prescribed some medications to regulate my blood pressure and told me that I'll be fine. 

Through it all, I was in faith for total and complete healing. I trusted God to perfect my recovery process; because I knew that he blesses without adding sorrow (Proverbs 10:22).  After taking the medication for a few days, my blood pressure was back to normal; and it has been normal since then...Glory to God!!!

*****

I was slowly but surely getting used to motherhood; I had no choice, my mother only could take a week off of work. I had a new found respect for all moms; wow! It wasn't as easy as it looked! I still missed my husband so much but I made up my mind to focus on my baby while counting down his arrival at the back of my head.

Eight days after having my baby; the customary naming ceremony (where the baby is blessed and named by a pastor) was held. I was a little sad that my husband wasn't there; I also wasn't feeling too good about myself. My stomach was still huge and I was still very dark. One of my aunts exclaimed, "Look at your stomach! You still look pregnant!" with a look of disgust on her face. I was so hurt, but I made up my mind to shake it off...she is known for having no filter anyway.

On the day of the naming ceremony, everything happened so fast. My sister couldn’t do my makeup as planned so I had to manage to do a little something. We ran late and people starting to call my parents asking where they were. We rushed to the church and met a plethora of people. The original room that the pastor wanted to use was too small for my parent's crowd (yeah...they invited the whole world). I originally wanted a small naming ceremony especially since my husband wasn't around, but my parents weren't having it. At the end of the day, everything went well...that's all that mattered...

****

Over the next couple of weeks, I began to adapt to motherhood and I became very overprotective of my baby...I just wanted to be the perfect mom and I wanted her to have the very best.

To be continued...


With lots of love,

- Bunmi Adebiyi


Wait before you go:

1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!

2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!

3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.

4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.

5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_

6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestinyblog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.