Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Let Purpose Define You, Not People

Source: Google 

He left there and returned to his hometown. His disciples came along. On the Sabbath, he gave a lecture in the meeting place. He made a real hit, impressing everyone. “We had no idea he was this good!” they said. “How did he get so wise all of a sudden, get such ability?” But in the next breath they were cutting him down: “He’s just a carpenter—Mary’s boy. We’ve known him since he was a kid. We know his brothers, James, Justus, Jude, and Simon, and his sisters. Who does he think he is?” They tripped over what little they knew about him and fell, sprawling. And they never got any further. Jesus told them, “A prophet has little honor in his hometown, among his relatives, on the streets he played in as a child.” Jesus wasn’t able to do much of anything there—he laid hands on a few sick people and healed them, that’s all. He couldn’t get over their stubbornness. He left and made a circuit of the other villages, teaching. 
Mark 6:1-6 MSG

Don't be surprised, just because you've made some changes and have become a better person doesn't mean that other people will get it or be able to relate with the new you. There are people that can only relate with you based on your hometown, your past, your mistakes, your profession, your titles, your income, your material possessions, etc.

When Jesus visited his hometown, his childhood friends and family knew that there was something unique about him but they couldn't not receive from him; they couldn't get over the fact that he was "just" a carpenter (his profession) or that he grew up in the same neighborhood as them (his hometown).

Personally, I have discovered this in my own life. Some people will always see me as little Bunmi; you know the people that say "I used to change your diaper when you were a baby" or "I remember when you were this tall" (lifting their hands a few inches from the ground) . There are people that see me as their friend that they used to go clubbing with; or the outwardly quiet girl that they grew up with. However, I am none of the above.

I have friends and family in the city where I pastor, yet many of them have not visited our church. Note to upcoming ministers, this is normal don't be offended. I have come to realize that some people will find it difficult to relate to me as a pastor; but I have learnt to not allow that to get to me. There are people that God has sent me to and they've been able to relate to me accordingly. I also thank God that my husband's and I's immediate families have been supportive, because this isn't always the case.

I also remember when I started this blog, I was so excited to finally have summed up the courage to start. Yet my excitement was short-lived when I discovered that I was not getting as much support from family and friends as expected. But, I couldn't stay there; I had to obey God and focus on the purpose of this blog.

You must come to a place where you walk in the awareness and consciousness of who you; or else, you will allow people, places and situations to define you. It is the creator or manufacturer of something that truly knows the purpose for which that thing was created. You are who God says you are, the purpose for which you were created is your identity.

I am fortunate to be married to both my companion and my pastor. I had to learn how to relate with him on those levels separately. If I just see him as my companion, I won't be able to receive from him as my pastor. This is something that I observed and learnt (I am still learning) from my mentor.

One thing that captivated me about my spiritual parents/mentors is that they knew about my past, yet they refused to define me by it. When I first sat down to speak with them, they addressed me in line with my purpose. They saw me the way God saw me, even though I was and still am a work in progress.

You may be having issues with people accepting the new you or accepting you for who you truly are, but don't be discouraged. You see, people that are not spiritually sensitive can not see you for who you are. Also refuse to be that person, the person that relates to people based on their mistakes or their shortcomings. Choose to love people, when you truly love people, you will see them through God's eyes; you will be patient with them, you will love them thorough their highs and lows and cheer them on along the way (Married folks and ministers, this is especially a word for you).


Surround yourself with people that see you as God does; people that encourage you. Remember it is not everyone that will see you for who you truly are, but never allow that to stop you from being YOU! Keep at it, remained focused on purpose and in no time the world will celebrate you for who you truly are!



You are blessed!



- Bunmi


Wait before you go:

1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!

2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!

3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.

4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.

5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_

6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi

7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

2 comments:

  1. Hello Pastor Bunmi. Great write up!I would like to suggest that, at some point, you put everything you have written on this blog since inception in a book and have it distributed globally. I think a lot of people would be blessed and inspired by it. More grace in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wole, wow...Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will definitely consider it.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. God bless you!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.