Thursday, August 17, 2017

Never Be Afraid To Be Alone



Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him. Isaiah 51:2 KJV
A few weeks ago I went back to my old stomping grounds to attend a friend's wedding. On the hour long drive from the airport to my sister's apartment (my host for the weekend), I drove by places that brought back various memories. From downtown DC where I often frequented during my college days at Howard University (The REAL HU), to the different neighborhoods that I lived and played in during my time in Maryland, to the beautiful Arlington, Virginia where I lived and attended physical therapy school briefly.

While I had some good feelings as I navigated my way through each state, deep down inside I had confirmation that I no longer belonged there. You see when God told me to relocate to Nigeria, one of the reasons why I was disheartened was because I loved the DMV. It was where I 'matured'; I had found God there, I discovered purpose there, I had developed life long relationships there, I had found 'love' and lost it there. The DMV had become an integral part of my life and I couldn't imagine myself living and raising my family elsewhere.

Most of all, the thought of relocating to Nigeria plagued me with the overwhelming fear of being alone. My immediate family and friends were all in the U.S.; and I wasn't the type to make new friends easily. I later came to realize that I had to be alone for a season, because of where God was taking me to. If I stayed in the U.S. I wouldn't be where I am today.

You see if I stayed in that same environment and around the same people, my growth would have been stunted; because I had found my comfort zone. I was doing 'good' according to my books. But God had more in store for me and I had to be alone to see it and enter into it.

During my visit to the DMV, I also realized that I couldn't relate to some people like I used to. Imagine, these people were part of the reason why I never wanted to leave. Words can't explain why, but we are on different levels now; like scripture says, "deep calleth unto deep". I no longer 'fitted in'  and it was okay. Don't get me wrong, I in no shape or form feel that I am better than anyone; I am only in competition with myself. But we just couldn't connect like we used to.

The above scripture kept ringing in my heart after I left the DMV. God reminded me that his Will is perfect and he knows what is best for me. He told me that he called me out of my comfort zone to bless me. And I can confidently day that the Lord has surely been good to me. Just like he was good to Abraham and blessed him beyond measure when he left his father's house to a land that God eventually showed him.

***

When it was time to relocate to the U.S. after being in Nigeria for a few years, I secretly wished that I could move back to the DMV. After all we were coming to start up a church and I already had 'connections', so it would be a piece of cake. But when I and my husband prayed, we heard 'Houston'. God sure has the best sense of humor! I was born in Houston but I was raised in New York. My dad tried desperately to get us to move to Houston during my teenage years, but my mom, siblings and I were not having it. I remember saying, "I'll never live in Houston"; I have sure learned to "never say never".

Here I was in Houston, alone again and having to start from scratch with forming relationships, discovering new places and things, jump starting my career, etc. Sometimes the 'aloneness' got to me and I felt like an Israelite, I'd question God in my head, asking why didn't he just leave us in Nigeria where we had become comfortable to an extent; I had reached my comfort zone there. But I should have known better, I should have observed how God has dealt with me in the past and just relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

You see at certain seasons of your life being alone is needed; it is necessary for you to gain access to another level, another blessing or a greater manifestation of the blessing of God in your life. Don't despise your alone seasons, it is a time of grooming and purning, a time of perfecting and maturing, a time of refining and restoring. At times you'd have to walk away from people, places, things, opportunities, careers, etc but never be afraid. The truth is you're never alone because God is always with you!

You are blessed!


- Bunmi



Wait before you go:




1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.


4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

9 comments:

  1. GOD bless and increase you ma: for blessing the world with this. We are yet and won't recover from the strong spiritual effects you had on us here in Nigeria. The Grace is huge. That wouldn't have been possible if you didn't make the decision to be alone. I personally had a solid start under the leadership of yourself, Pastor Tunde and other Leaders. We shall meet again by the Grace of our Lord JESUS CHRIST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I give God all the glory for the privilege to serve and be a blessing. We shall surely meet again by God's grace. Stay blessed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bunmi..Thank you for sharing your journey.. you are not alone. Abi and I are in the Houston area and we would love to be your extended family or friends. You are brave and God rewards that. We definitely can relate to your journey, there is a lot to be said about the discovery, pursuit, and fulfillment of purpose, and we thank God for you and your family. And so we lift you up this morning and we declare STRENGTH for the journey. May His grace be sufficient, and may His strength be made perfect in your weakness. 2 Corinth 12:9.

    Blessings
    Abi & Seun
    @marriagebyte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bunmi..Thank you for sharing your journey.. you are not alone. Abi and I are in the Houston area and we would love to be your extended family or friends. You are brave and God rewards that. We definitely can relate to your journey, there is a lot to be said about the discovery, pursuit, and fulfillment of purpose, and we thank God for you and your family. And so we lift you up this morning and we declare STRENGTH for the journey. May His grace be sufficient, and may His strength be made perfect in your weakness. 2 Corinth 12:9.

    Blessings
    Abi & Seun
    @marriagebyte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very refreshing read Pastor Bunmi...very edifying too. Happy Birthday Ma
    Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! And thanks for the birthday wishes

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.