Wednesday, March 08, 2017

When God Commands It

Source: Google



Hello everyone!

Long time no see!

Today I continue my testimony on how I met my husband.

If you have not done so already, you can click on the 'How I met my husband' label to the right and see previous posts.

****

Everything was falling in place. Both of our families were excited, my friends were excited, our church family was excited. And above all, I had peace. I really didn't know what the details of what the future held for the both of us but I knew that I was in God's Will. It was an amazing feeling, this was something that I never experienced before. While, it was an answer to my prayers; it was all new to me. I had days where I was tempted to afraid because it felt too good to be true; I never knew that God was match maker until he brought me to my husband. At the end of the day, I chose to hold on to God's Word and rest.

Our relationship was blossoming, we were pretty much inseparable. Wherever you saw me, he was not too far away. He insisted that I stop taking the bus and okada (commercial motorbike- used as public transportation), so he always went out of his way to pick me up for work, church, etc. It was cool but I loved my independence, at times I felt smothered and just wanted a break. I kinda missed my old routines; hanging with friends, eating at the local restaurants, buying fruit at the junction (corner) from my favorite food lady, and lastly enjoying some alone time (I enjoy my own company till date!). However, those things began to dwindle and it affected some of my friendships. I tired to explain it to him, but he didn't seem to understand. I mean, I can't blame him; it was all new to him as well and he was excited. Before meeting me, he was in a long distance relationship that lasted for five years; he was not used to having his significant other in close range. Well, I got over it eventually. I just accepted it as something that came with the new territory.

In no time, wedding plans were being made. We originally wanted to get married later on that year (2013), but as we prayed about it God instructed us to choose an earlier date. He spoke to our hearts and said that he had something for us to do together. We both were concerned about choosing an earlier date for various reasons. We felt it was too soon, we just met and were still getting to know one another. We were both serving (doing NYSC) and we didn't have much funds. Our parents were also a bit hesitant because they wanted more time to plan, save money, etc.

But we were sure about what God said and we stood our ground. Our parents eventually agreed and after a little going back and front, we agreed on a date...July 27, 2013. The plans were in motion...I had to decide on a wedding dress, choose wedding colors, traditional attire, etc. We were also having a tradition wedding on the 25th, so we were basically planning two weddings at the same time. Overwhelmed is an understatement of how we felt. It was the first wedding in my family and my family came off as overbearing, wanting to control everything. I desired an intimate wedding but with my family, I knew that it was absolutely impossible. So I accepted my fate but not without a fight!

At one point things began to get overwhelming stressful. Some members of my family on both my father's and mother's side were not in support of our wedding. There major complaint was that the wedding was too soon. Another complaint was that he may have been trying to use me since I was from a America; they felt that he wanted to use me as his ticket to "greener pastures." Some family members vowed to not show up to the wedding. Others proudly said that they were not in support of the wedding and would not contribute in any way.

My mom started to worry and it came to a point that she had to call my pastor and confirm that I was marrying a good guy. My pastor confirmed it and she was rest assured; even though some family members were telling her that she was making a huge mistake.

Around that time, it was God's Word that kept us going. We chose a day to pray and fast about our wedding and marriage. And we chose to believe and trust God for resources. At a point, God gave us a word, he said that people that we least expected would contribute to our wedding. That was good news! I also remembered something that helped me to keep holding on when my pastor shared a testimony about her wedding. She stated that she declared a few scriptures when there was some opposition about the wedding. One of them was, Lamentations 3:37 (King James Version)Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?. I held on to the scripture and confessed it, sooner than later the voices of those that were opposed to the wedding began to fizzle out. And God showed up in amazing ways. We got discounts for our venues, catering, etc. People that we least expected were also giving us money out of the blue. We were amazed!


*****

While all that was going on, our pastors asked for us to come to see them one day at their home. They pulled my then fiance aside and told him that a new branch of our church was starting in Akure. Akure is a city located in Ondo State, which is about 2 hours away from Ife. I already saw it coming; one day while the rest of the pastors were in a meeting deliberating on who would go to Akure to start the new branch, my husband walked in and said, "Pastor, I wanted to tell you that I am going to Akure." He actually meant to say that we were going to Lagos, to run errands for our wedding. Everybody who was in the room was surprised because he had no idea what they were talking about before he entered. Some may say it was a coincidence, but I knew that it wasn't.

From that day on I kept telling him that he would be the "chosen one". He didn't want to accept it. He wasn't a fan of Akure, he grew up there and he had some reservations about it all. He loved Ife, he'd been there for about 8 years at this point; he was working in Ife and had major ministry responsibilities in Ife so he didn't see it. Well, lo and behold I was right! So our pastors told him to take some time to pray about it and get back to them.

The drive back home was quiet to say the least. But God was up to something!

To be continued...


You are blessed!


- Bunmi


Wait before you go:


1. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, life won't make any sense, it will be cold and empty. You deserve more! Take a few minutes and click on the 'Come to Jesus' tab at the top of the page and be saved!


2. Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!


3. You can subscribe to this blog and receive email updates once a new post is published by entering your email address in the 'Follow by email' section located on the right of this post.

4. You can share this post or previous posts by clicking on the respective social media icon on the right.


5. Follow me on twitter @BunmiAdebiyi_


6. Like my page on facebook: Bunmi Adebiyi


7. Follow me on Instagram: destinationdestiny_mlmt

2 comments:

  1. Thank you ma for sharing.

    love you.

    Also love your walk with God.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.