Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I Heard His Voice

Our relationship started to dwindle shortly after that experience. I just wasn't happy with him anymore, I didn't see a future with him. But there was so much pressure to stay because our relationship was "public" and our families were involved. I endured for sometime until I reached my breaking point. He lost his job, stopped going to school, and stopped going to church, etc.

I had really big dreams which did not include taking care of a man. I knew that this wasn't the life that God planned for me. I was broken, I needed help and he was in no position to help. By this time I'd move off campus and lived with my cousin. She attended a church and I had no choice but to go with her since I didn't have a car at the time. Not knowing that me attending this church was all apart of God's big plan for me. I believe God ordered my steps to DC/Maryland primarily to become apart of this church.

Prior to the first day that I attended the church, three other people had invited me but I declined. During my first year at Howard University, I didn't go to church while on campus, I only attended church when I went home for breaks. I grew up in a church that always stressed that other churches were bad, and that it was the church sent to cleanse the world. So I stuck to reading my bible (even though I didn't understand it then)and praying while I lived on campus...I was just being religious.


One faithful day I went to church with my cousin. She most likely forced me to go. I didn't have any expectations in my heart, I was ready to go in and get out. When I entered, It was completely different from what I was used to. Their mode of worship was weird to me...all the jumping, dancing-with-all-your-heart moves, always happy-go-lucky didn't make sense. Neither did I know any of the songs that they sang, I felt lost each time I went there. 

Nonetheless, I continued to attend the church. There's one particular Sunday service that I'll never forget. We were late as usual and had to sit on the balcony. As I walked into the sanctuary I heard a voice in my right ear, it was loud and clear, it was gentle yet powerful. I just heard one word "ABSTINENCE", I was stunned and turned around to see if anyone was behind me. I also look around to see if anyone else reacted, but everyone was focused on what was taking place on the altar. 

I quietly took my seat and knew it that what just occurred was supernatural. I later discovered that it was the audible voice of God, that was the first time I've ever heard it. I had been praying about my relationship so I took that as a answer to my prayers, I informed my then boyfriend that we could no longer be intimate, but he wasn't having it. 

So I broke up with him amiss the pressure. His siblings and friends called to plead on his behalf and ask me to take him back. Of course he didn't tell them the full story, in an effort to protect him I had to tell them that the relationship ended for other reasons. He tried hard to get me back, surprises visits, claims of attempted suicide, etc but my mind was made up. I had to get right with God and I had personal issues to deal with.

To top it off, one of my family friends who was like a second mom to me (may her gentle soul continue to rest in peace) called me a few days after. She told me that she had a message for me from The Lord. She said, "Bunmi, you're different, you can't do what everyone else is doing". I took that as confirmation and pressed on.


You're blessed!

- Bunmi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.